This is an advertisement

A General Service Law Firm With Local Roots

Steps to take when you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect

On Behalf of | Jan 12, 2024 | Personal Injury |

Nursing homes are a place that many people entrust to take care of their loved ones during the later stages of life. Unfortunately, incidents of nursing home abuse or neglect come to light every now and then. Such incidents raise serious questions about the quality of care provided, even after residents and families have incurred significant costs.

Reporting nursing home abuse or neglect

In Kentucky, there are two government bodies that aggrieved nursing home residents or their families may contact in the event of any form of abuse or neglect: the Office of Aging Services of Kentucky and the Office of Inspector General of Kentucky.

The Office Aging Services of Kentucky is an ombudsman that provides information on nursing homes in the state. It also resolves issues that arise between nursing home and their residents or their families. The ombudsman can be contacted through phone, fax, or their website. The working hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM on all days.

The Office of the Inspector General of Kentucky is a nursing home state survey agency. This agency is the place where aggrieved nursing home residents or their family members can submit a complaint related to the quality of life in the nursing home or the quality of care that is provided by the nursing home and its staff.

What else should one do?

In addition to filing a complaint with the government bodies mentioned earlier, it may be a wise decision to seek legal help if you suspect or experience any form of abuse or neglect while being a resident at a nursing home.

A legal action related to nursing home abuse or neglect is covered by Kentucky personal injury laws. Like any other area of law, navigating the legal maze can be a challenge for many people. That is where professional guidance is helpful.